Learn & Grow
Adult Christian Education
Together, we are called to grow in our love for God and others on a transformational journey as apprentices of Jesus.
There are four primary Sunday School classes for adults:
- Westminster Class is the largest class and is primarily lecture-based, featuring a rotation of teachers (including the pastors, local rabbis, and local professors). In recent years, this class has addressed topics like “Getting the Big Picture of the Bible;” focusing in on the major genres of the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament; “Faith Seeking Understanding,” focusing on major points of theology from creation to redemption and everything in between, and “Saints and Sinners,” focusing on inspirational Christians throughout church history. As of the fall of 2021, these courses are live streamed on YouTube and are available here. (The archive of previous years is available here).
- Coffee & Conversations Class, as the name suggests, involves coffee and conversation and particularly serves parents of children and youth. In recent years, this class has discussed topics like redemption, difficult topics within Scripture, and parenting in today’s world.
- The Parlor Class is a smaller, conversation-based class, led by a different lay facilitator each week. They most often study from the Present Word curriculum.
- Intergenerational Class meets in the Upper Room (on the second level across from the youth room) and reads through and discusses the lectionary texts of the day, which a pastor will preach on during the worship service.
Throughout the week, there are three different educational opportunities for adults:
- On Tuesdays mornings from 9:30-11:00 AM, Senior Pastor Dave deVries leads the Pastor’s Bible Study, which focuses in on one book of the Bible at a time. In recent years, Pastor Dave has taught on Hebrews, Job, and Luke. Every week provides time for fellowship, brief lecture, lots of discussion, lots of questions, and plenty of prayer. In the course of the morning there always seems to be at least some unexpected fun and laughter.
- On Wednesday mornings from 7:30-8:30 AM, the Men’s Bible Study meets to discuss Scripture, theology, and faith.
- On Thursday mornings from 9:30-11:00 AM, the Women’s Bible Study meets. It is a “come as you are, come when you can” type of fellowship. In recent years, they have studied the books of 1 Samuel, Psalms, and also study the Lenten All-Church Reads. All are welcome to this inter-generational group!
In addition to all of the above opportunities, there are several long-standing small groups, with new ones being formed regularly.
For more information about Adult Christian Education opportunities, please contact the church office.